Monday, September 26, 2011

Feng Huang Cheng, China

Last May, I received a postcard from a Chinese person who used the alias "yxw0614."  He or she expressed his or her gladness to be in the same round robin (Water RR 189) as I was, wished me a nice day, but didn't write anything about the place shown on the postcard.  Great.

I would never have guessed where in the world this postcard was from had not it been for Google Translate's automatic page translation feature.  There was a website written on the bottom right of the postcard and I decided to check it out.

Feng Huang Cheng, or Phoenix Town, is an ancient city located in the southwest of the Hunan Province.  Situated at the foot of the mountains and near waters, Feng Huang Cheng is a well-preserved historical site as it continues to show the world the beauty of ancient villages prior to modernization.

Legend has it, 2 phoenixes flew over the town, found it so beautiful that they hovered there, reluctant to leave

The postcard came with this stamp:

Chlamys farreri is more commonly known as the Chinese Scallop

This postcard and short entry don't do justice to the splendor of Feng Huang.  I would have gladly written more about the town, but all the sites I visited talked about its place in Chinese history.  I'm not good with (Chinese) names so I won't even try to act as if I know what they're talking about. On the other hand, I found out that Feng Huang is on China's tentative list to the UNESCO World Heritage thingie.  Cool.

Read more here:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/hunan/zhangjiajie/fenghuangcheng.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment