Saturday, September 10, 2011

Kumamoto, Japan

I've had a thing for bears since 6th grade, when I got the slightly secret nickname, "Kuma" which means bear in Japanese.  And when I heard that there was a place in Japan called "Kumamoto" I knew I just had to go there.  And go there I did.

It was a little bit more than 2 hours away by bus from Fukuoka, the place that me and my roommate lived.  I was leaving in 2 days and I had an afternoon meeting to attend, so we were only in Kumamoto for a very short time.  Anyway, I've read a few travel website and there was this one person who said that Kumamoto is a nice place to visit if you have an hour to spare.  It was true.

Kumamoto is a small town with not much tourists.  As long as you're a blonde Caucasian, one or two people will try to engage you in conversation in the trams.  And these people will gladly help you find the place you're looking to visit in case you don't speak much Japanese.  Finding a decent Kumamoto brochure in English was next to impossible.  There were none.  Good thing I already got some brochures from Rainbow Plaza in Fukuoka.

Find peace and beauty in Suijenji Park
So after purchasing the elusive one-day tram passes, my roommate and I visited Suijenji Koen.  It was an amazing garden where the lush green color of La Salle brushes against the perfect Ateneo blue sky.  One would be a fool not to stay and wander around for at least an hour.

Walk for hours on end at the Shimotori Arcade

As planned, my roommate and I had lunch at a restaurant in the Shimotori Arcade.  The place looked like a familiar Tenjin shopping arcade, but with more room and less people.  We were on a fixed schedule and we didn't have time to find a cheap restaurant offering the famous Kumamoto raw horse meat, so we settled for sweet and sour pork at a Chinese restaurant.

More Japanese than Chinese food

And don't say I didn't warn you, but please do not have Chinese food in Japan.  It was my 2nd time to dine in a Chinese restaurant in Japan and the food tasted like Japanese cuisine with just a hint of Chinese.  Trust me, it's not a good mix.  The Japanese version of sweet and sour pork is more sour than sweet.  Not a perfect balance.  You would be better off eating Chowking's Chao Fan rice, spring rolls, and Chicharap rather than not get your money's worth for Chinese food in Japan..

Kumamoto Castle, Sr. as seen inside Kumamoto Castle, Jr.

Right after that unsatisfying lunch, we visited the most famous landmark in the area, Kumamoto Castle.  We walked up an endless flight of outdoor stone stairs to get to the castle entrance.  Note to future Kumamoto visitors, there is another entrance which doesn't require you to climb the endless flight of outdoor stone stairs.  It was a pity that we were only there for 30 minutes.  We entered Kumamoto Castle, Jr., which was across Kumamoto Castle, Sr.  My roommate and I were so tired from the grueling climb, so I didn't realize that all the pictures I've been taking were crappy.  But of course, I just made up the suffixes for the different parts of the Kumamoto Castle complex.  I don't really speak Japanese so I didn't bother to learn the names of stuff which I know I will just forget after 3 seconds.

From the Castle, we walked back to the bus station and were just in time for the bus that was bound for Fukuoka.  Awesome.  Would love to go back to Kumamoto for the raw horse meat, better pictures, and the other sights to see.  But maybe after 5 years' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment